Style and voice

I've got my act together and started writing again, not with vengeance, but definitely with purpose.  I have a few things concerning me though. Firstly, I can feel my style evolving as I write more and more, but what's concerning me is the voice of the piece. It's so plot driven and I don't feel like my heroine's voice is coming through. She needs to develop into wanting to be a fairy, but I haven't found that transition coming though. She's either resentful of turning into a fairy in the early chapters or wanting to be a fairy in the later chapters.

I keep hearing other authors voices from Youtube videos saying, "Complete your first draft before you edit". And so I keep writing. Some of the secondary charachters seem to have a really strong voice in my head, but Thelba still feels like he/she is developing, even though her arc and plot is all mapped out and the novel is over half way written.

I've also set myself a rule now. No storybook illustrations to be done until I have done at least an hour of writing. It's helping and I've bitten the bull by the horns and started the chapters I was dreading - which is onboard the ship.

I was putting this off because it meant not only dealing with stuff I had to research but introducing a tonne of periphary charachters. Thank god i had done the research though. It;s a good foundation and source of reference for when I am getting stuck. My Scrivener refernce file is full of charachter notes, ship commands and a break down of each part of the ship, sailing manoeuvres, and roles and functions of each member of the crew. I find myself flitting between different parts almost every sentence, so am glad that scrivener has the split screen mode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quest two complete

Starting the writing of my first novel